Senior Software Developer-Ruby
Job title Senior Software Developer - Ruby
Location Cape Town (hybrid available)
Job Type Permanent
Over the past several years we have undergone a great deal of positive change and growth to become the company we are today. Our global footprint now spans multiple countries, giving our employees the opportunity to get exposure to other countries and cultures. And it stands to reason that none of this would have been possible without the hundreds of hard-working employees who work at Confluence.
We support our employees with new ways of working, having recently implemented a Flexible Working Policy, we often have the option for employees to work both from an office and from home.
We are proud to work with smart, passionate colleagues who are highly focused on our products and their impact on our clients’ work.
What do we do?
As a leading global technology solutions provider to the investment management industry, Confluence helps clients solve complex investment data challenges across the front, middle and back office. From innovative portfolio analytics to regulatory and financial reporting solutions, Confluence invests in the latest technology and data and in its team of industry experts to meet the evolving needs of asset managers and service providers.
Headquartered in Pittsburgh, PA, Confluence services over 400 clients in 40 countries, with locations across Europe, North America, South Africa, Australia and Asia.
More about the role
Confluence is currently seeking to recruit an organised and motivated Software Engineer to join our team to apply their expertise on a sophisticated cloud-based performance measurement product suite.
You will be working on the entire software stack from UI through to backend processing and database changes.
The application runs entirely on AWS and uses many of the AWS services.
The development tools include Jira, Git, GitHub, CodeClimate, HoneyBadger, TeamCity for CI, NewRelic, Datadog, Chef.
What skills and experience do I need to succeed?
Essential Technical Skills and experience (highly proficient level):
- Demonstrable experience within Software Development
- Ruby and Rails
- Relational SQL Database (Ideally Postgres)
- Source control tools such as Git
- SOLID principles
- Excellent problem solving and debugging skills
You must also be analytical and a critical thinker, with very good levels of English communication. As you are working in a project team you must work well in a team environment.
What do we offer?
Retention in the team is incredibly high, with individuals often staying for periods of up to 5-10 years. They have success in progressing its team members when they do well, with examples of people moving from Engineer up to Cloud Architect/Development Manager level.
Regarding the tech stack, this is a very large and complex multi-tenant application running on large datasets which is very challenging and rewarding.
Confluence offers competitive benefit packages for team members. As a growing, global organization, we are always looking for ways to ensure that our employees can access benefits that matter to them and their families.
- Bonus – include if there is one.
- Generous time off packages with vacation time, holidays and sick leave.
- Career Development is important and as a global organisation, we have opportunity to work across our diverse global locations. We also have access to a broad Learning and Development platform, which not only provides employees with work-related courses, but also personal development courses such as yoga detox!
- Social events include regular happy hour events across each region, as well as other informal events which are regionally specific.
- We have a Confluence Cares Committee who is responsible for giving back to our communities. This includes donation matching for each event, which vary from volunteer days planting trees in Pittsburgh to donating books and computers to school children in South Africa.
- Our Diversity and Inclusion committee meets regularly to focus on key initiatives and support for employees.
Please speak to someone in HR for specifics on benefits available by region.
More about the Location
Ie. Must be based in London - This role is based primarily at home, however there is an expectation to travel to London office in Wimbledon for meetings.
Who will I work with?
The team is collaborative, transparent, delivery focused, with strong product ownership and a practical approach to work.
They get together once a month for company breakfast, as well as other social sessions every 2nd month as a team. Team building events can include events such as online poker, 6 a side football and go karting.
We look for people who align with our 4 values.
Face reality with honesty, courage and accountability
Deal creatively with challenges and envision what the world could be
Build good habits into reflexes which become a part of our life
Committed to the success of others
If you would like to find out more about a Career at Confluence, please apply today.
We are committed to providing equal opportunities regardless of age, gender, religion or ethnic origin and we give full and fair consideration to the employment and career development of disabled persons, commensurate with their aptitudes and abilities.
To understand how and why we hold your data please view the relevant Privacy Statement: