Our Cape Town office is looking for a developer to join our engineering team.
As a leading global technology solutions provider to the investment management industry, Confluence helps clients solve complex investment data challenges across the front, middle and back office. From innovative portfolio analytics to regulatory and financial reporting solutions, Confluence invests in the latest technology and data and in its team of industry experts to meet the evolving needs of asset managers and service providers. Headquartered in Pittsburgh, PA, Confluence services over 400 clients in 40 countries, with locations across Europe, North America, South Africa, Australia and Asia.
Development teams at Confluence consist of intelligent, driven, and dedicated individuals across disciplines who are passionate about what they do and committed to each other’s success. As a member of the engineering team, a Software Engineer at Confluence works across the entire tech stack utilizing cutting-edge technologies to build and maintain industry-leading software solutions. This individual takes user stories and architectural specifications to strategize and implement secure, performant, efficient and maintainable solutions designed to provide value to internal and external stakeholders. Development teams at Confluence thrive in an agile environment that embraces change, teamwork, and customer collaboration to deliver value to our clients. Our teams work hard, have fun, and take time to celebrate our successes. Confluence is a very successful and rapidly expanding company; this is an excellent opportunity to grow with us!
The successful candidate will benefit from a dynamic and open-minded environment; experience with highly scalable cloud technology and opportunities to innovate and assume responsibilities.
- Design, develop, document, test, debug and maintain new and existing software systems driven by product management and architecture
- Participate in all phases of the development life cycle, from epic decomposition/story writing to implementation and support
- Assume responsibility for timely completion of tasks and initiate alternative paths or workarounds when problems are encountered
- Design & implement complex solutions and technical specifications (interfaces, APIs, classes, scripts, etc) with required reviews
- Actively participate in challenging design processes with peers and team members
- Follow existing patterns and improve those patterns where applicable
- Knowledge of core technologies, system architecture and software development practices
- Independently operate under team run rules (e.g., peer review/code review processes, utilization of design checklists, etc)
- Write quality technical documentation
- Actively propose solutions for the technical implementation of the features that require sizing/story to gauge complexity and size of solution
- Troubleshoot complex issues (replicate, investigate, recommend solution options, and implement)
- Provide mentorship to peers
- Actively participate in code reviews
- Collaborate with team members across disciplines to deliver client value
- Serve as a champion for culture/values of the engineering team
- Solid communication skills; written and spoken
- Experience delivering commercial software applications
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Strong understanding of OOP concepts
- Programming experience in a mainstream language
- Experience writing comprehensive unit tests utilizing unit test tools
- Experience with development tooling, including bash, git, vagrant, ssh and vscode
- Experience in containerized development using docker, compose and related tools
- Experience with distributed cloud based systems and environments preferably on AWS
- Proponent of non-functional requirements such as security, scalability, reliability and performance
- Demonstrated self-starter and quick learner
- Infrastructure as Code technologies; Chef, Ansible or Terraform
- Databases; MSSQL, PostgreSQL, AWS RDS, AWS DynamoDB, AWS Redshift
- AWS S3, API Gateway, EC2, Fargate, etc
- Apache httpd, Nginx, Kong
- Fundamentals of Linux
- Kubernetes knowledge and experience in production
- Serverless technologies; AWS Lambda or FaaS
We are committed to providing equal opportunities regardless of age, gender, religion or ethnic origin and we give full and fair consideration to the employment and career development of disabled persons, commensurate with their aptitudes and abilities.
To understand how and why we hold your data please view the relevant Privacy Statement: